20 Tonnes Of Plastic Waste Alight At Viridor’s Kent Facility [UPDATED]

knet-fire-viridorA fire broke out at Viridor’s plastic recycling facility on the Medway City Trading Estate in Strood yesterday (7 June), where 20 tonnes of plastic waste caught alight, according to Kent Fire Service.

Eight fire engines, a height vehicle and a range of specialist equipment were used to bring the fire under control.

A further two fire engines were then sent to the scene of the incident, bringing it to a total of 10 fire engines, a height vehicle and other specialist equipment.

There are no reported casualties and the cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

KFS – “Fire crews are working hard to extinguish the blaze and smoke issuing from the scene is being reduced”

At 22:30 last night (7 June), Kent Fire Service (KFS) announced that The Medway City Estate remains cordoned off while firefighting operations continue at the scene.

Due to a large plume of smoke coming from the blaze, local residents have been asked to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed as a precaution.

“Fire crews are working hard to extinguish the blaze and smoke issuing from the scene is being reduced,” KFS said.

“Viridor can confirm that a fire has been reported at its Rochester Polymer Recycling Facility (PRF) today (Sunday 7 June),” the company said in a statement.

“Emergency services are in attendance and have confirmed that nobody has been injured.

“Viridor will continue to work with the emergency services to enable a thorough and safe procedure is followed in dealing with the situation.”

[UPDATED 12 June]

Viridor confirmed that all emergency safety procedures were correctly followed and nobody was injured.

“The fire was in the input storage material and started whilst some operations were happening in this area,” the company said. “There are no suspicious circumstances and staff on site attempted to put out the fire whilst emergency services were called.

“Material in this storage area was damaged along with a nearby office building.  Firefighting activity stopped the fire from causing significant damage to the main plant.  Full safety and engineering checks are being carried out as a precautionary measure and we expect the plant to recommence operating in several weeks.”

Send this to a friend