The Environmental Industries Commission (EIC) has launched a cross-sector free to access smart cities platform, bringing together all those using smart technologies or big data with an aim of creating cleaner, greener, and more sustainable city environments.
The database provides a free-to-access platform for promoting smart technologies, which help cities meet their increasing environmental challenges: air pollution, carbon emissions and energy use, waste management and water contamination.
The EIC hopes it will be used to share international best practice, encourage industry collaboration, and help to match city governments trying to clean up their environments with companies of all sizes providing cutting edge solutions.
“This initiative meets a real need: bringing together a disparate market; matching cities facing environmental challenges with new, innovative solutions; and providing an evidence base to unlock investment”
“This initiative meets a real need: bringing together a disparate market; matching cities facing environmental challenges with new, innovative solutions; and providing an evidence base to unlock investment,” states Matthew Farrow, EIC Executive Director.
“As a neutral industry broker, EIC is bringing together all the key stakeholders that make this market work, to share best practice, open up new collaborations, and improve the quality of life of citizens living in cities at home and around the world.
SustainableSmartCities.org aims to assist in the promotion of accelerated industry growth through the following activities:
- Sharing of international case studies and best practice through a new online platform – helping all sectors, from government to industry, learn more efficiently and secure investments.
- Connecting previously isolated stakeholders, creating a nexus of collaboration – through seminars, roundtables, and a series of networking events.
- Providing thought leadership, market intelligence and investment insight – development of in-depth reports on policy and markets, regular blogs from industry and governmental leaders, strategic identification of opportunities for growth.
- Lobbying governments and policy makers for a regulatory framework that supports and encourages innovation and its implementation.
- Fostering needed cross-sectoral collaboration to enable needed change.
The initiative has been developed over the last three years through extensive stakeholder engagement, renowned research from the Environmental Industries Commission, and essential input across all sectors to turn this industry identified need into reality, including an industry taskforce.
Alex Tosetti, Head of Smart Cities & Operations Director, AECOM, said: “SustainableSmartCities.org is the solution to years of isolated smart cities work, helping to bridge the distance between pockets of knowledge, practical experience, strategic investments, political support and more. This collaboration will best ensure that our cities will leverage smart technologies or big data to create a cleaner, greener and more sustainable world.”