Pickles Overrules Council Decision Over Gloucestershire Waste Facility

Secretary of State, Eric Pickles, has overruled the decision by Gloucestershire County Council to refuse planning permission for an energy from waste facility at Javelin Park. 

Urbaser Balfour Beatty (UBB) was awarded a contract to design and build the facility at Javelin Park in February 2013. However, the planning committee refused planning permission for the facility and UBB appealed to the Secretary of State.

The outcome was originally due September 17 2014. This was however pushed back to November and then again until after the new year.

The facility (artist impression pictured) will treat 150,000 tonnes of Gloucestershire’s waste, over half of which currently goes to landfill.

The facility will make an important change in the way Gloucestershire deals with the household waste of its 600,000 residents, diverting over 92% of our waste from landfill.

Cllr Nigel Moor, chair of planning committee – “The committee robustly defended its decision to an independent inspector at the public inquiry last year. However, we acknowledge today’s announcement”

UBB says the decision will make a significant impact on tackling climate change by removing 40,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide and save local people more than £150m over the next 25 years.

Cllr Ray Theodoulou, cabinet member for waste, said: “Today’s decision means the rubbish we can’t recycle can be disposed of in a safe and environmentally friendly way.

“Our aim is to reach 70 perccent recycling across the county and stop burying waste in the ground completely. As well as this new facility, Gloucestershire will also be using anaerobic digestion to treat food waste and recycling more. This all takes us a huge step closer.”

Cllr Nigel Moor, chair of planning committee, said: “The committee robustly defended its decision to an independent inspector at the public inquiry last year. However, we acknowledge today’s announcement.”

UBB will be reviewing the Secretary of State’s decision in full and construction will start “as soon as possible”.

Javier Peiro, Project Director for UBB, said: “We are delighted with the Secretary of State’s decision to agree to the construction of the facility. The proposals were found to be in-line with the relevant planning policy and Gloucestershire County Council’s Waste Core Strategy.

“UBB looks forward to working with the people of Gloucestershire to deliver the facility which will help divert up to 92% of the County’s residual waste from landfill while generating enough electricity to power around 26,000 homes.”

“We will be working with Gloucestershire County Council to make sure the project brings as many opportunities for the local people and the economy as possible and make a positive contribution to the effects of climate change.”


 

Send this to a friend