Environmental Audit Committee Calls On Government For “Latte Levy”

The Environmental Audit Committee (EAC) has called on the Government to introduce a 25p “latte levy” on disposable coffee cups and for all coffee cups to be recycled by 2023. 

In its latest report – “Disposable Packaging: Coffee Cups” the Committee has called on the Government to:

  • Introduce a 25p “latte levy” on disposable coffee cups, and use the money raised to improve the UK’s recycling ‘binfrastructure’ and reprocessing facilities.
  • Set a target that all disposable coffee cups should be recycled by 2023. If this target is not achieved, the Government should ban disposable coffee cups.
  • Make producers pay more for packaging which is difficult to recycle.
  • Improve labelling to educate consumers about how best to dispose of their cup.

Environmental Audit Committee Chair, Mary Creagh MP, said: “The UK throws away 2.5 billion disposable coffee cups every year; enough to circle the planet five and a half times. Almost none are recycled and half a million a day are littered. Coffee cup producers and distributors have not taken action to rectify this and Government has sat on its hands.

“The UK’s coffee shop market is expanding rapidly, so we need to kick start a revolution in recycling. We’re calling for action to reduce the number of single use cups, promote reusable cups over disposable cups and to recycle all coffee cups by 2023.”

Regarding the coffee cup charge, the EAC explained in its report: Although some coffee shops provide discounts for customers who bring their own cup, uptake of these offers is low at only 1-2% of coffee purchases. The Committee noted the impact on consumer behaviour of the plastic bag charge (which reduced plastic bag usage by over 83% in the first year), and concluded that consumers are more responsive to a charge than a discount.

The Committee is urging the Government to introduce a 25p charge on disposable cups, to be paid for on top of the price of a coffee. The revenue should be used to invest in reprocessing facilities and binfrastructure to ensure that disposable cups and other food and drink packaging is recycled. As the recycling rate for coffee cups improves, the charge could be lowered.

Regarding the 100 percent recycling target, the EAC explained that throws away 2.5 billion disposable coffee cups every year. Almost all are incinerated, exported or landfilled. Half a million cups are littered every day, which spoils our streets, harms our wildlife and pollutes our seas. Coffee cups are difficult to recycle, but not impossible. Industry action has been voluntary, non-committal and slow.

It says: “The Committee urges the Government to set a target that all disposable coffee cups should be recycled by 2023. If this target is not achieved, the Government should ban them.”

The Committee heard that the UK’s producer responsibility obligations, which aim to make producers financially responsible for the disposal of their packaging, “fail the Ronseal test.” Packaging producers only pay for 10% of the cost of packaging disposal and recycling, leaving taxpayers to pay for the remaining 90%.

The Committee is calling on the Government to adopt a producer responsibility compliance fee structure that rewards design for recyclability and raises charges on packaging that is difficult to recycle.

And on labelling the as “recyclable, not recycled”, it added: “Disposable coffee cups are technically recyclable, but most are not recycled. This is because of the cups’ tightly bonded plastic (polyethylene) liner and the complications of recycling packaging contaminated by food or drink.

“The UK only has three recycling facilities that can split out the paper and plastic components of coffee cups for recycling. This results in less than 1% of coffee cups being recycled. Most people, however, dispose of their coffee cups in recycling bins believing that they will be recycled.”

The Committee has therefore called on the Government to require coffee cups from cafes without in-store recycling systems to be printed with “not widely recycled” labels to boost consumer awareness. Cafes with in-store recycling systems should print their cups with “recyclable in store only.”

The full report is available here

Send this to a friend