Fire forces Kent bin lorry to tip recycling load into street


Waste fire

A bin lorry was forced to tip its load of recycling onto the street after it caught fire, Swale Borough Council has said.

In a Facebook post, the local authority said crews were quick to act but unfortunately had to tip the load into the street in Sea View Gardens to prevent a large-scale fire.

The council warned residents there may be some delays to bin collections following the incident on 4 January. Support crews were deployed to finish the rounds in Warden and teams were sent to clear the recycling that was tipped into the road.

Swale Borough Council said that due to the level of contamination, the load will not be recycled. The local authority said some of the items found included electrical appliances, disposable vapes, and batteries.

Other items that should not have been disposed of in blue recycling bins that were found included nappies, wood, and aerosol cans.

The council urged residents to review the recycling guidance on its website.

Send this to a friend