Investigations are underway to assess the cause of a fire at Hafod Quarry Landfill in Wrexham last week.
The fire, which started last Wednesday evening (27 May), was extinguished by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service over the weekend. The site has since then been closely monitored to ensure the safety and wellbeing of local residents.
Industry and Waste Regulation Team Leader at NRW, Julia Frost said: “This was a serious incident and NRW officers continue to work closely with NWFRS following the fire, who will now investigate the cause of the fire.
“NRW’s investigation will focus on environmental permit compliance leading up to the fire. The owner of the site, Enovert has provided NRW with an action plan detailing the work it has carried out on the infrastructure since the fire and the additional measures it has put in place to minimise the risk of future fires.”
This fire put tremendous pressure on our resources for a protracted period, at a time when we are focusing on reducing demand – our aim now is to ensure that everything is done to prevent a reoccurrence
Simon Bromley from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “This fire put tremendous pressure on our resources for a protracted period, at a time when we are focusing on reducing demand – our aim now is to ensure that everything is done to prevent a reoccurrence.”
Following detailed discussions between NRW, Enovert and NWFRS the site will reopen this week for the acceptance of a small number of pre agreed waste streams. Full disposal activities will commence next week, subject to compliance with the agreed site Action Plan. The waste will not be deposited in the same area affected by the fire.
Anyone who may have any environmental concerns can get in touch with Natural Resources Wales by calling 0300 065 3000, which is open 24 hours day.